Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our Gifts

I have been thinking so much lately about life, love, God and how all of this comes together. God shows himself in so many ways, usually in the stillness of his beautiful creation. Maybe in the ocean or the beauty of a flower garden maybe in a smile or the hug of a friend. I have always loved Psalms 56. Some of my favorite verses are "...even when I am afraid, I keep on trusting you. You have kept record of my days of wandering. You have stored my tears in a bottle and counted each of them."

Understanding the mind of God is impossible. I don't even try. He loves me, I know it. I believe it. "What God has planned for people who love him is more than eyes have seen or ears have heard. It has never even entered our minds!" I Cor. 2:9

Jon had many gifts. Among them were his smile, his sence of humor, his tender heart, his hugs and his ability to make friends and be friendly to everyone. One I want to tell you about today is his gift of life and sight to several people that will forever be indebted to Jon. We received a letter this week from Alabama Eye Bank. They informed us that Jon's eye tissue had been used to restore the sight of two very fortunate individuals. This makes me happy as Jon will live on in some small way through this compasionate donation. I'm sure we will find out later about his heart and large bones in his legs that were used to help someone suffering with bone cancer.

Everyone on earth is designed to make a difference. Jon made a difference. I am learning more and more about how he did make a difference. He is still making a difference in the lives of others through his story and through his gifts.

The greatest mark we can make is to show others who God is...we do this by loving others.

4 comments:

  1. It is so awesome to hear the stories of how Jon is still helping people with their sight and their illnesses. What a great gift. Thanks for sharing! Still praying often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Denise. It is so encouraging to hear about how part of Jon has gone on to help another person! Praying for your family daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will always be alive in your heart and your thoughts each day and is never far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing with us. We love you and will always love Jon!

    ReplyDelete